Trailer for the Feature Documentary “BIBLE QUIZ”:
Praise for “Bible Quiz”…
- The Hollywood Reporter
“an unpredictable pleasure”
- Los Angeles Times
“vulnerable and charming”
- LA Weekly
“Another Doc that wowed!”
- Huffington Post
“Easily one of my favorite documentaries of all time”
“stuck with me like no other film this year…a film that people will remember for years to come.”
- San Francisco Bay Guardian
“quirky and funny”
- SLUG Magazine
“real and honest”
- Christian Post
Click here for more Praise on the Press Page!
About the Film
BIBLE QUIZ follows seventeen-year-old Mikayla Irle as she memorizes books of the Bible on her quest to win the National Bible Quiz Championship and the heart of JP, her quiz team captain. The film explores coming of age in the face of faith, doubt, fierce competition, sexuality and teen love. It is director Nicole Teeny’s first feature legnth documentary.
Mikayla is just like any other normal seventeen year old girl with a crush; except unlike other girls, Mikayla has over 2,000 Bible verses memorized and that the object of her affection is her Bible Quiz team captain JP. This year JP only has eyes for the National Bible Quiz Championship. Last year he placed third nationally and now in their last year, he wants to win. In order to succeed though, they must compete against thousands of other teens from across the US including their biggest rival, heavy-weight Cedar Park. Mikayla hopes that if she can lead their team to victory she will find the love she lacks in her own family and win the ultimate prize: JP’s love.
Bible Quiz challenges stereotypes and portrays an even-handed look at religion in these teen’s lives as they explore faith, identity, sexuality and competition at one of the most unique summits in evangelical America today.
- Grand Jury Sparky Award for Best Documentary – Slamdance Festival
- Grand Jury Award for Best Documentary – United Film Festival San Francisco
- Best Documentary – Big Muddy Film Festival
- Audience Award – Big Muddy Film Festival
- Silver SpIFFy Award for Documentary – Spokane International Film Festival
- Nominated for Best Documentary – Churches Making Movies Film Festival
- Local Audience Award – Tacoma Film Festival
- Emerging Filmmaker Popcorn Award – Chagrin Documentary Film Festival
- Most Promising Filmmaker Award – Spokane International Film Festival
- Artist Trust Award Award/Grant
- Tacoma Arts Commission Grant